Friday, November 04, 2005

Recording quality and the value of valves

Well, I'm back from my holiday and I've had a chance to catch up with some of the questions you've asked in my first entries.

Peter the Guitarist asked if we have considered making instrument cables. Well, we do have a Pro Audio catalogue but the cables are not on the website... yet. Contact us via www.russandrews.com and we'll organise a catalogue to be sent to you.

Fatwyre says "You have always stated importance of basics. With the quality of recordings today, who needs hifi?". You know, everyone needs Hi-Fi! Recording quality has ebbed and flowed cyclically since at least the 1960s. If your favourite music is badly recorded - complain to the musicians. many of them really care - we have rewired David Gilmour Music studio and Russel Watson's, and supplied cables to Simply Red and several producers including Ken Nelson who produces Coldplay. Ken is a great fan of our products. Currently we have cables being evaluated at Abbey Road.

Will in Bratislava asks about my views on valve-based systems (and Dave the Bass also mentions valve-based systems as a reply to my question about why Hi-Fi shows are badly attended.) Dave - I don't understand why so many companies seem content to make a 'laughably bad' sound at hi-Fi shows either. It seems a waste of money to me just to put listeners off buying your products. Will - I've heard good and bad valve based systems just as I've heard good and bad solid state systems. I only care about the musical results, I'm not prejudiced either way.