Friday, May 26, 2006

Switched and unswitched mains sockets


I've long advocated the use of unswitched mains sockets for your Hi-Fi or Home Cinema system. Switched sockets increase the impedance of the mains supply and they can sound terrible.

I've written more about this online on www.russandrews.com See my article on mains impedance here (information on sockets are at the bottom of the page).

Today, however, a customer reported to me that unswitched 13A mains outlets were no longer legal. An electrician, a home surveyor and his local DIY superstore had all told him the same story. And a story is all it is. There is no truth in it at all. The Electrical Regulations have not changed and unswitched sockets are still approved, legal and available.

I am a bit suspicious about the origin of this myth. If the surveyor questions the quality/safety of a house's mains wiring the mortgage company reduces the value on which it offers a mortgage or can impose an improvement clause. It's then a nice easy foot in the door for an electrican who can then find lots more 'urgent' work that needs doing.

I'm probably being too cynical; they are just confused.